About this role
We’re hiring a Principal Geoscientist to join our client’s team. This role will have several important components. You will lead evaluations of potential properties for acquisition, generate targets, and design and oversee field programs from target definition through to resource expansion. You will work closely with data scientists to generate and implement analytical methods in our software platform. You will advise exploration teams across the company in your area of expertise. And you will help shape the technical road map of the company through leading-edge thinking on exploration methods, the science of ore deposit formation, and priority areas and deposit styles.
- Demonstrate in all activities a commitment to the highest standards in health and safety, environment, and community relations.
- Rigorously analyze geoscientific datasets across a range of scales from provinces to prospects to determine exploration potential and to identify, rank, and prioritize exploration targets.
- Help to shape our exploration strategy, area selection, and evaluation of each project and set of targets through exceptional knowledge of the relevant ore system and exploration methods.
- Identify or develop innovative analytical methods and work with data scientists and software engineers to implement them in our software and to apply them to current or potential projects.
- Design and oversee field programs ranging from geological mapping and sampling of grass roots prospects through to large drilling programs on advanced projects.
- Devise data acquisition programs that improve upon current leading industry practice by leveraging technological capabilities and see them through to successful implementation in field programs.
- Provide technical guidance to the client and the JV partners’ in-country project teams.
- A minimum of 15 years’ experience in the mineral exploration industry.
- An M.Sc. or higher degree in a geoscience field or in a related physical science.
- Insatiable intellectual curiosity.
- A proven track record of discovery, as a leader or member of a team that found an ore deposit.
- Excellence in generative analysis ranging from new concepts to integration, interpretation, and modeling of large datasets.
- Excellent field skills and experience working across a range of project stages from grassroots prospects through to advanced projects with significant drilling and other geoscience data.
- A deep understanding of one or more ore deposit types, preferably including sediment-hosted stratiform copper deposits and/or magmatic sulfide deposits.
- A high level of specific expertise in at least one specific subject area, such as sediment-hosted or orthomagmatic ore systems or the collection and analysis of geochemical or classes of geophysical data.
- Broad expertise in the geochemistry, geophysics, and geology of ore genesis with practical application to sediment-hosted, magmatic-hydrothermal, and/or magmatic sulfide systems.
- Proficiency in exploration software packages such as QGIS/ArcGIS, Leapfrog, and ioGAS.
- Demonstrated leadership skills including the ability to motivate and inspire others, to share ownership and responsibility for project outcomes, and to work effectively in collaborative, interdisciplinary teams.
- A strong track record of coaching and training geoscientists of varying experience, educational backgrounds and cultures in leading-practice mineral exploration.
- Demonstrated commitment to high standards of health and safety in the workplace.
Nice to Have
- A Ph.D. in a geoscience field or related physical science.
- Research experience or other published work on exploration methods or ore-forming processes.
- Working knowledge of one programming or scripting language (e.g., Python, R, C/C++) and experience with scientific computing.
- Excellence in statistical or quantitative methods for analyzing geoscientific data.
Why work with Brunel? We are proud to offer exciting career opportunities from over 100 offices globally in 42 countries. Advancing your career takes time and effort – let us match you to your ideal position.
Join the Brunel Family
Brunel has a reputation for working with some of the best in the business. That’s what we continually strive for. Brunel provides the global recruitment and workforce services you need to lead your industry. With 45 years of market experience in Renewable Energy, Automotive, Oil & Gas, Life Sciences, Mining and Infrastructure, we help you finish major projects safely, compliantly, on-time, within budget and at the highest quality, so you can keep growing — anywhere in the world.
Start applying immediately
Sending an application is quick and easy. Just make sure you have the required documents ready to go.
- Certifications (optional)
- Job references (optional)
- Motivation Letter (optional)
Any questions remaining?
Your consultant, Rory Lyden is happy to clarify anything about this vacancy. When reaching out, use the pub number:
Brunel Canada - Toronto